I am not a great cook, I’m good when I want to be, but honestly my mind is usually somewhere else and following recipes is really, really hard for me. Any distraction – 3 kids, the dog, a friend, a flower – and boom, we are having “blackened” food again … usually without the Cajan part.
So I started making my food simple. Really simple. I wanted healthy and easy.
Share the Knowledge Click to Tweet
Today’s Food Mantra: I know that what I eat matters in how I feel. If I want to feel good, I have to eat good. Food and mood go together. Eat Well, Feel Well. Speak this mantra out loud and repeat as necessary. @StacyReuille
Here’s a great side dish or lunch idea. It can make a great meal on it’s own, a dish to share at the local potluck, or a side to some great grilled items, a soup, or smoked turkey.
Tomato Cucumber Salad:
1. Get some tomatoes. The fresher the better (may need to check out the local natural food store this time of year).
2. Get some cucumbers. The fresher the better (same as above).
3. Get some onion. I like the white or yellow kinds in this dish.
4. Cut all those up in bite sized chunks. I like to keep all the tomato juice and seeds in. If you don’t, don’t.
5. Find some really good ranch dressing. I haven’t gotten to the point where I make this from scratch yet. I use full fat and organic. I like the Newman’s Own brand. I just look for small list of ingredients on the back and low to no sugar. Put a little in the bowl. Start with a small dollop. You can always add more.
6. Salt and pepper if you like. I usually add cracked black pepper, but salt depends on the dressing.
7. Mix it all up and taste. If you feel like you need to add more of anything, do.
Word of caution – If you are going to put in the fridge to blend the flavors, you need less dressing and salt/pepper than you think. Even when I make and eat, I need less salt and dressing than I think.
Ta-da! Yummy and done.