Summer is getting closer and with all the vacations, graduations, weddings, and other trips planned how are you going to stay on track to meet your fitness goals. Not to mention avoid all the traps for putting on pounds? Here are some ideas to help you plan to stay active on your vacation this season.
The best thing about vacation is getting your out of your routine so it is expected that your fitness might not follow your regular plan either, but to help make sure your vacation doesn’t pack on more pounds than days you’ll be gone try some of these tips.
1) Pack along rubber tubing. Easily packable and versatile this simple exercise equipment piece can be used in your hotel room for a complete strength workout.
2) Plan activity into your events. Can you walk, run, rollerblade, bike, swim, etc as part of a fun adventure for the family. For example try viewing the town by bike instead of car or walking to restaurants and shopping. Check out local outdoor, bike, guide, and sports shops to find the best places for local hiking.
3) Local the park and enjoy chasing and playing with your kids or grandkids.
4) Think about your vacation meals. I know, I know, – you are on vacation but… thinking about them ahead of time will help you plan for potential high calorie meals you want to have and make smart choices earlier in the day.
5) Pack healthy snacks. If you can find a local organic foods store (or other grocery store) and purchase some healthy snacks you can take along – like cut veggies, beef jerky, fruit, fat free yogurt / cottage cheese / jello cups, deli salads, soups, etc. If you spend a some pre-trip time checking out possibilities in the store now you’ll be able to whip in, grab what packs well for your trip, and get out quickly but still keep your eating on track.
6) Remember the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time make smart eating and movement choices while on vacation and then relax and enjoy yourself the rest of the time guilt free knowing you have a plan to stay on track and moving forward.