I know I haven’t written in a while. I’ve started a PhD program and it’s kept me writing and reading a ton. I have been learning about the bodies need to express itself with movement as its communication route. Here are 10 ways to let your body talk. Some people like using music others don’t.
First get quiet and draw your attention to your body. Where does your attention want to go, where do you avoid? Notice if anything needs more attention. Then allow your body to begin to move. Here are some ideas.
2) Move your arms like they are under water
3) Take big steps
4) Twist (be careful to honor your body’s level of fitness for this movement)
7) Balance – see how many different ways you can come up with ways to balance your body, arms, legs, torso
8) Walk on your tiptoes or heels
9) Open and close your fists (or your toes)
10) Move however your body wants – tighten, release, fast, slow, rhythmically, asymmetrical, just MOVE!!!!
Don’t worry about being silly or looking dumb. It isn’t about how you look to others but about how you feel when you allow your body to say what it wants. Start in privacy if you are self-conscious and just notice how listening to your body and then answering it’s call with movement feels.
I found myself beginning as an assignment and then I noticed I would do small movements at work or in the car as a way to continue to allow myself to express needed thoughts and emotions through my actions. Pretty powerful stuff! Enjoy.
*As always if you find yourself feeling overwhelmed emotionally it may be time to seek out a professional near your home.